Successful Goldsprints Roller Racing Events
The better question is how to throw a successful event since Goldsprints Roller Races should be treated like any other event. They need the proper planning, preparation, execution, and follow up.
- What types of people are in the crowd?
- Who big is the crowd?
- What would make them come?
- What would make them stay?
- Where can we hold the event? How many people can fit? What does it cost? Do they have a stage or sound system?
The goal is to have a packed house, turning people away for your first event is ok. It may be hard to guess how many people show up to your event, so pick a smaller venue. For example 150 people in a venue that can accomodate 125 is better than 150 people in a venue that can accomodate 1000. Same number of attendees, but the smaller venue will "feel" like a better attendance.
- Who will take professional photos?
- Who will take video for YouTube / Vimeo?
- Who will be the MC?
- Who will setup and operate the computer and projector?
- Who will help people on and off the bikes (adjust seat heights, pedal straps and mechanical issues)?
- Who will handle racer registrations?
- Who will staff the door?
- Create a flyer
- Create a teaser web video
- Promote on your website, facebook and twitter
- Send a press release to your local media announcing the event. Social media may only hit your friends, so it is important to reach out beyond those friend networks.
- Post the event on local community [web-based] calendars.
Execution (Day of)
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups. Take that to heart, and check EVERYTHING.
Unless this is your last event, you want to make the people that didn't come regret it and want to come to the next event.
- Post videos on Youtube / Vimeo, share them with social media (facebook, twitter, etc). Higher production value gets more hits.
- Post photos online, share them with social media (facebook, twitter, etc)
- Post the results (best times) for all the attendees online, ideally the same place website where you post new events.
- Send a press release to your local media announcing the results.